Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Visiting the past

We went in to Toronto today to get my transcripts from Ryerson and to hand deliver my application to York University.
I thought it would be cool to take Emily to see 188 Hallam Street.
It was shocking and amazing. Toronto has changed drastically. It is to the point where I barely recognize it.
Yet, returning to these old stomping ground was incredible, seeing townhouses where Westmoreland United Church once stood. The old garage just down the street is also gone, replaced by townhouses.
But, the house is still there. The brick is painted chocolate brown. The porch is gone and a stoop has replaced it. There is a lovely garden and the postage stamp-size lawn is dark green. Obviously, the owners take care of it.
Dovercourt Public School still stands. There was a construction crew doing work on the premise. I told Emily three generations of our family attended school there.
The corner stores across from the schools are gone. The variety store is a house and so is the old Beckers milk store
Dufferin Babptist Church is converted into a coomunity centre.
Still some things do not change. Sone's Pharmacy is still there and so is the Progress Bakery. The coin laundry is still there, as is the variety store and the grocery store at the intersection of Dovercourt and Hallam streets.
The old Loblaws store is gone (yes, townhouses).
I didn't go to Armstrong Avenue because I have very few memories of it left. I refused to go by Felbrigg. I am still very furious about what happened. It would make me sick to see it.
You would still recognize some of good ole Hallam Street,but a lot has changed. Thirty-seven years can do that to a community.
Emily was most impressed. So was I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home